No matter what cone you visit, there are always good snacks to be had in Cars Land. However, there is something about their bread cones that make them a must-do for me every time I visit the park. The first time I ever had them I tried their Buffalo Chicken Cone, which was delicious, but nothing really beats their Bacon Mac ‘n’ Cheese Cone. You can always just make this mac and cheese alone, but there is something about the bread cone that really makes you feel like you are at Disneyland.
Bacon Mac ‘n’ Cheese Cone
This recipe is straightforward and the mac and cheese is completely made on the stove, so it’s also super simple. Check out the notes after the recipe on how to ensure your bread cone is perfect.
Cozy Cone Motel Bacon Mac ‘n’ Cheese Cone
- 1 pizza dough see notes after the recipe
- 1 egg
Mac 'n' Cheese
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 pound elbow pasta
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 8 oz cheddar cheese shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425°.
- Take cardstock and wrap it into a cone shape and secure it with tape. I take scissors and flatten the bottom, so I can cook the cones upside down. Cover the cone with a layer of aluminum foil, and spray with a non-stick spray. Repeat 5 times, to give you 6 total cones.
- To make cones roll your pizza dough into a large rectangle, it should be about 12"x18".
- Cut 1" strips lengthwise, so you have 12-1"x18" strips.
- Starting at the point of the wrap one strip of the dough down the cone, making sure the layers touch as you go around. Continue with another piece of dough. Each cone should use 2 pieces of dough.
- Crack your egg into a small bowl and add in a splash of water. Whisk until fully mixed, and brush on to the outside of every cone.
- Bake cones for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow cones to cool before removing from the mold.
Mac 'n' Cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions in a large pot of heavily salted water, and drain.
- Cook 6 slices of bacon according to the package directions, and set aside to cool. Once cooled crumble the bacon.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat melt 1/4 cup of butter.
- Once butter is melted as 1/4 cup of flour, constantly stirring the mixture over medium heat until darkened slightly in color and smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of milk and allow mixture to come to a simmer.
- Add in 1/2 cup of cream cheese, and allow it to melt, stirring occasionally.
- Once cream cheese is melted add in 8 oz of shredded cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the elbow noodles to the cheese sauce and stir to combine.
- Add mac and cheese to the cone and top with crumbled bacon.
For the pizza dough: You can use any store-bought or homemade dough. The dough in the tube works perfectly for this as it is already in a rectangle. For me, I always keep a couple of pizza doughs in the freezer and I love this recipe from Bon Appetit.
Bread Cone Tips
Okay, I will admit that I hit a snag or two while initially making the cones, so here are my tips to ensure your cones come out perfect.
- Make sure all the layers of the dough touch, this will ensure a solid cone and prevent any spillage.
- Cut the bottom of the paper cones flat so they can stand in the oven, it will prevent them from having a flat side.
- Use a toothpick to hold the end of the dough in place, it will prevent the dough from sliding down in the oven.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough flat and thin right before putting the dough onto the cone, this will ensure more coverage and the dough will puff in the oven.
What Disney recipe do you want to see me create next? Let me know here or in the comments.