The steamed cheeseburger pods in Pandora are outstanding, they are basically a big mac wrapped in a bao bun and puffed to perfection. I set out to figure out how to make these at home and they turned out delicious.
Bao buns might seem a little bit intimidating, but the dough is extremely forgiving and you don’t need to be a dumpling master to make them, I promise!
Also, if you are headed to Pandora soon, it should be noted to you can order an adult size version of the pods, even though they aren’t listed on the menu.
Pandora Cheeseburger Steamed Pods
- 1 1/2 cups warm water 105-110 degrees
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 8 oz cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup dill pickle chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Mustard
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire
- Add 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of yeast to 1 1/2 cups of warm water, about 105 – 110 degrees. Give the mixture a quick whisk and let sit 10 minutes or until the mixture becomes foamy.
- Mix together 4 1/2 cups of all purpose flour, 1 tablespoon of baking powder, 1/2 cup of sugar, and 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the flour mixture and combine. Once the dough comes together transfer to a work surface and knead for 10 minutes, adding more flour or oil as needed.
- Place dough in a large oiled bowl, cover, and allow it to rest for 2 hours in a warm place. It should double in volume.
- Once dough has risen, punch down, cover, and allow to sit 30 additional minutes.
- While on the last rise, make the cheeseburger filling.
- Brown one pound of beef and 1/2 of an onion, it should take about 10 minutes, then add in a teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Once cooked, add in 8 oz of shredded cheddar and allow to melt.
- Take the mixture off the heat and add in 1/2 cup of chopped dill pickle, 1 1/2 tablespoons of mustard, 1 1/2 tablespoons of ketchup, 1/2 tablespoon of Worcestershire, and stir to combine.
- Once your dough has risen divide in half and roll out into two logs, cut each log into about 7-8 pieces.
- Flatten the dough and use a roller to form into a circle about 3-4 inches.
- Add about a 1/4 off the cheeseburger mixture to the middle of the bun, and bring up the edges and seal.
- Place your pods in a parchment lined steamer basket also sprayed with cooking spray. Make sure the steamer basket is not touching the water. Cook over boiling water for 10-12 minutes.
These pods are easy but take a little time waiting for the dough to rise. Want to see a full step by step video, head over to my TikTok! What is your favorite snack at Disney? Let me know in the comments and you might see me recreate it.